Wednesday, May 22, 2019

From the CTKG Cabinet: Reilly Bard

Hello everyone!

I am Reilly Bard, one of the seven finalists in the 2018 Connecticut's Kid Governor Statewide Election. Now I am working on the Kid Governor's Cabinet with 2019 CTKG Ella!

Me and CTKG Ella in her office during Inauguration Day 2019!

I ran a platform of foster care and adoption. Someone near and dear to my heart was in foster care and was then adopted. He was brought into a loving home where his adoptive parents made his transition between home and school as smooth as possible. Not all foster care or adopted children have that same experience. I wanted to help! My three-point platform plan included:
  1. Create a Fostering Friendships Club-- a club designed to bring students living in foster homes, students who have been adopted, and students willing to make connections with these children together in hopes of developing true friendships. 
  2. Hold fundraisers to support this cause.
  3. Create a blog to inform and celebrate what cool activities these students are participating in. 
Since the Statewide Election, I have been super busy. With the help of my amazing social studies teacher, Mrs. Chavez and awesome school social worker, Miss Reney, I have visited the Winifred House, a Bridge Family Center Short-term Assessment and Respite Home (STAR) for young women, in Southington. I met Michael Rulnick, Director of Residential Services, Doreen Tarascio, Director of Communications, and other essential staff members that make the Winifred House a great place for young women to live in. While on this visit, I learned that I, along with my classmates, could make their stay more special.

I created a fundraiser where students could not only give to a great cause but could also have fun while doing it! During an assembly, I rolled out the fundraiser to my peers. This fundraiser began with a pajama day! Each day students brought in items such as shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and body wash. After one week, I collected over 380 items to give to the Winifred House.

Me with some of the items that students in my school donated for the Winifred House.

My next fundraiser will benefit students in foster care and adoption though the Klingberg Family Center. Stay tuned for what comes of that. It's very exciting!

If you would like to support my platform, you can donate to my Fostering Friendships Club, become a foster parent, or reach out to the Klingberg Family Center to ask how you can help.

I'd love to hear how you are making a difference regarding foster care and adoption in your community. Email me at info@KidGovernor.org to tell me about it! You can also visit CT.KidGovernor.org/cabinet2019 to read about the other members of the Kid Governor's Cabinet.

Thanks for reading!

-Reilly
Plantsville Elementary School
Southington, CT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Platform Update from Cabinet Member Reilly

Hi Everybody! I hope this blog post finds you all healthy and safe. It seems like just yesterday I was sitting around the table with Ell...